MALTA IT LAW ASSOCIATION
MITLA has been setup:
- To promote the advancement and development of information technology law, including but not solely limited to computer law, internet law, electronic communications law, information law, electronic commerce law, remote gaming law and cybercrime, (hereinafter referred to as “ICT Law”) in Malta and the advancement of Malta as an international centre of excellence in ICT Law;
- To actively research, discuss and circulate information on legal developments taking place on the international plane and within the European Union with respect to ICT Law and the knowledge economy;
- To promote with international and regional organisations or associations and other national government and non-government bodies legislative and regulatory changes related to ICT Law and to consider together with these entities proposals for legislative interventions having the same aim;
- To afford opportunities for the discussion and consideration of matters of interest to members of the Association and to undertake or assist in the preparation of legal instruments and papers in respect of such matters; and
- To collect and circulate statistical and other information of interest to the members of the Association and to form a collection of publications and documents accessible to the members of the Association.
Address: MITLA, SmartCity Malta, SCM1001, Ricasoli, Malta
Dr. Gege Gatt
Gege is a lawyer with extensive experience in ICT corporate strategy and operations. He is a founding member of ICON a Microsoft Partner company and a world-class software-applications development company based in malta. As a specialist in ICT law he provides advice on matters relating to Data Protection, Computer Misuse and ICT contracting. He is Vice President of the Malta IT-Law Association and is a specialist examiner in the field of ICT Law for Doctoral thesis submitted to the University of Malta.
As an innovative and results-driven leader he focuses on achieving exceptional results in highly competitive ICT environments that demand continuous improvement. Gege holds a Bachelors degree in Sociology and a Doctoral degree in Laws from the University of Malta. He is a member of the Camera degli Avvocati (Malta), the British Computer Society and the Chamber of Commerce, Malta. Gege is ITIL certified, a regular contributor to Business-IT publications and a speaker at ICT events.
Dr. Antonio Ghio
Antonio is a partner at Fenech & Fenech Advocates and heads its ICT Law Department. For the past twelve years his work has solely revolved around ICT law issues, trying to find solutions to the constant struggle existing between law and technology, both inside and outside of the courtrooms. Ghio lectures ICT law and Cyber Crime at the University of Malta and is a regular supervisor and examiner on technology law related matters.He held the position of Chairman of the Malta Communications Authority after having served as a member of the Board of Directors for the last five years.
He has an LL.M in ICT law from the University of Strathclyde where he specialised on legal aspects of Internet security and online privacy. He is a regular speaker on ICT law issues in local and international conferences and has a regular column on ICT law issues on the Sunday Times of Malta. His personal blog on ICT Law issues can be found here. Ghio is also the Malta contributor for Electronic Signatures in Law (Cambridge University Press) and author of the Malta chapter of Data Protection: Laws of the World (Sweet and Maxwell).
Dr. Franklin Cachia
Dr Franklin Cachia joined CSB Group in 2019 and holds the position of Director – Tax & Regulated Industries and Managing Partner of CSB Legal. He was previously employed with a law firm and tax advisory firm for over 7 years. He attended the University of Malta, and successfully completed a Bachelor of Laws degree, followed by a Doctor of Laws degree in 2012. In fulfillment of his LL.D., Franklin submitted and defended his thesis entitled: “The Custody Business in the Financial Sector”. Franklin obtained his Advanced Diploma in International Taxation (ADIT) which helped him solidify his foundations in domestic and international taxation. He is also a Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS) and has an International Diploma in AML Compliance (ICA).