With approximately 900 lawyers across 17 offices, Seyfarth provides advisory, litigation, and transactional legal services to clients worldwide. Our high-caliber legal representation and advanced delivery capabilities allow us to take on our clients’ unique challenges and opportunities―no matter the scale or complexity. Whether navigating complex litigation, negotiating transformational deals, or advising on cross-border projects, our attorneys achieve exceptional legal outcomes. Our drive for excellence leads us to seek out better ways to work with our clients and each other. We have been first-to-market on many legal service delivery innovations―and we continue to break new ground with our clients every day. This long history of excellence and innovation has created a culture with a sense of purpose and belonging for all. In turn, our culture drives our commitment to the growth of our clients, the diversity of our people, and the resilience of our workforce. Notably, Seyfarth’s Privacy & Cybersecurity Practice advises clients on cutting-edge topics—from automotive telematics, to the Internet of Things, big data, and usage-based insurance—as well as the latest regulations around the globe. In particular, General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)—the most significant change in data privacy regulation in the past 20 years—continues to have far-reaching impact, and our attorneys have been at the forefront of this issue, preparing clients for compliance and assisting with ongoing concerns.
Suite 3701, 37/F
Edinburgh Tower, The Landmark, 15 Queen's Road Central
Central, Hong Kong
T +852 3956 0600
Combining his passion for technology and more than 20 years of experience, Paul Haswell assists his clients on commercial or contentious legal issues related to the use of technology or data.
For any operation doing business in Asia, projects and commercial contracts involving IT, telecoms, and the collection and use of data offer great opportunities and unique challenges. Businesses must safeguard their profitability, stability, and growth within a rapidly changing legal framework. Clients rely on Paul’s technological and legal skills to help them develop strategies and manage risks.
Paul leverages his legal and technological acumen to assist clients worldwide with large-scale IT and telecommunications projects, as well as commercial contracts. He ensures that legal aspects of transactions related to technology, sourcing, supply chain, and licensing are appropriately addressed. Paul’s experience spans Asia and Europe, where he has advised clients on mission-critical outsourcing arrangements, complex IT and telecoms projects, use-of-data and cybersecurity issues, blockchain and crypto, managing media reports, and addressing employee misconduct.
Paul has more than 20 years of experience in litigation and arbitration regarding disputes arising from distressed projects, IT failures, and breaches of contract. He draws on his extensive experience to help clients with:
- Rolling out complex IT-led and telecoms projects, with a focus on targeting and mitigating risks associated with these projects.
- The use of data across multiple jurisdictions, ensuring compliance with applicable data laws, and acting promptly and authoritatively in the event of a data breach or cybersecurity incident.
- Large-scale multinational and multimillion dollar commercial agreements, outsourcing arrangements, licensing, and service agreements.
- The use and exploitation of cutting-edge, innovative, and new technologies, from the deployment of blockchain and crypto solutions, to the commercial use of new tech.
- Facilitating project management in relation to the implementation of major IT solutions and complex IT projects.
- Managing negative media reports, defending libelous statements, pursing defamation claims, handling privacy breaches, and addressing smear campaigns on social media and across the internet.
- Addressing employee misconduct, including breaches of fidelity and theft of confidential information.
- Contractual disputes involving local companies and those in different countries, including disputes resolved through local courts, international arbitration, and other methods of dispute resolution.
He draws from his background to provide clients with clear, logical advice, and works with them to find cost-effective solutions.
A team player, Paul is passionate about proactively assisting his clients with both the legal and technological aspects of any deployment of tech or data. He applies his knowledge and enthusiasm to help clients protect their data and their reputations, understand and navigate complex projects, and sustain strong and lasting relationships.